Joseph: his brothers abused him, Potiphar’s wife lied about him, and the cupbearer forgot him. There is a temptation to be resentful, angry, and depressed. Two years later…God’s plan, as always, is still in motion. The read is pretty clear so I will just bullet some thoughts.
- Pharaoh’s dreams were significant to him. The Nile River brought life. The god Hapi was the god of the Nile, who brought fertility and dominance. The second dream spoke of the East wind. This is called: Kadim . It occurs occasionally in the Spring and the Kadim can raise the temperature 60+ degrees on 1 day.
- Magicians: They are scholars that study sciences, reading the stars, interpreting dreams, seeing the future….and some magic. Yes, they were smart, yes they knew magic, they could even perform it with Satan’s help. BUT God is in control of Satan, and on this day he kept him on a short leash SO THAT Joseph can be lifted up.
- The dreams were interpreted, all credit going to the Lord.
- A plan was also stated (really from God)
- Joseph is the #2 in command of Egypt. Egypt is THE world power at the time.
- Joseph is given an Egyptian name (if he is in command of Egyptians), it would be important to them.
- At the age of 30….(if I have a trivia night, that might be a question). So how long has it been?? Joseph was sold at the age of 17!
50 Before the years of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. 51 Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, “It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father’s household.” 52 The second son he named Ephraim and said, “It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.”
So does this mean we will have 13 tribes of Israel? Spoiler alert. No, Levi does not become a tribe…God has another plan for 1 of the sons. Levi is carved out for the priesthood. BUT wait, Manasseh and Ephraim are born from a Gentile woman. That’s right…we were always grafted into God’s love. Think about that for a moment.
Chapter 42: The 10 brothers did not recognize Joseph. Well, he has been in Egypt for 13 years…as an official he looks and talks like an Egyptian. They sold him as a ‘disabled’ slave, and they are looking at the #2 in charge in the world. It never would have crossed my mind either.
So why does Joseph send for the missing brother? (look at the genealogy above). And why is Jacob so distressed about this? Jacob LOVED Rachel. She gave him only 2 sons. Joseph and Benjamin. Have the brothers also abused Benjamin out of jealousy? Joseph wants proof that his only blood brother is ok.
Think back to the book of Job. The idea that bad things happen to bad people (Law of Retribution). 21 They said to one another, “Surely we are being punished because of our brother. We saw how distressed he was when he pleaded with us for his life, but we would not listen; that’s why this distress has come on us.”
Rueben speaks in the end. Rueben’s brother (look at genealogy again, it will make sense as to why he is distressed about Simeon) in prison.
38 But Jacob said, “My son will not go down there with you; his brother is dead and he is the only one left. If harm comes to him on the journey you are taking, you will bring my gray head down to the grave in sorrow.”
(I am not sure how I feel about Jacob this morning)
Trivia: What are the names of Joseph’s sons? Who was born first?