Last year a group came together to read through the Bible chronologically. I created a post to give insights on my research of the day. This year I want more quiet time, less research time. Usually when I do a “Read Through” I do not look back on past notes so that God reveals new scriptures for me to dig into. 2021 I am going to be a reader, (not a writer so much). I am going to use past posts so that I can spend more time in the Word, less time in commentaries.
If you would like to read through it with me, I would love that. I am going to be transparent: many will not finish it. You have to decide if this is going to be your commitment for 2021.
Tips if you choose to do this:
- Set a time of day when you will read. Having a plan helps.
- Choose to read while drinking coffee
- Listen in the car on the way to work
- Read on your lunch break
- Listen while you are folding laundry
- Read/listen on treadmill
- Read each night before bed
- Be aware of things in your life that can be eliminated or postponed until the reading of the day is complete.
- Read before Social Media scrolling (ouch) Insta, Face, Tik Tok, even on-line shopping
- Read before Netflix/Hulu watching
- Read before you play a game on your phone
- Read before you catch up on the news of the day
- Do you need accountability?
- Find someone to read with you who will shoot you a text to make sure you are on track
- Tell a spouse or a child to ask you what the reading was about each day
- What do you do if you get behind? (you will)
- Find a place you will be distraction-free (the park, your car, a closet in your house maybe), and just sit and read/listen to the schedule (not the posts…skip those)
- read during “spare time”- sitting in a parking lot waiting for practice to be over
- read in the pick-up line at school
- staff meetings (just kidding…sort of)
- Be prepared to say “I am pretty far behind, I am going to jump in where everyone else is”
- This is my 5th read through and the #1 feedback I get is “I just got too far behind, I regret not skipping and jumping back in”. I am telling you, it is worth skipping and jumping in rather than giving up and not reading at all. TRUST ME.
- The site can be viewed on a phone, tablet, or laptop. (easiest is a laptop, but keep the icon on your phone for convenience
- Last but not least, some books are “hard to get through”- stick with it, you will be glad you did. I promise.
6 thoughts on “Reading the Bible in 2021”
I am committed. I’m talking my husband into reading it as well. He will hold me accountable. I have read it in it’s entirety a few years back. I will tell anyone, you will be tested during that year. Wasn’t sure if it was Satan or not. My year ended with a heartbreak from someone I loved very much. However, the committed reading brought me to a whole new level on my walk with Christ.
Teresa, you are so right. I think of it 2 ways: you know the enemy is going to do everything he can to steal your joy and keep you from reading. He will use “worldly” things to keep us busy. But, I also believe in God’s Providence. If He knows everything that is going to happen to us in 2021, and He creates a desire in our heart to be committed to being in His Word, we should. I don’t want to go through something He knows is coming, without it. A few years ago, a mom and her 3 daughters (adults) committed to the read-through. One of them passed away that year, I am so thankful that her sisters and mom were so deep in the Word that year to get them through it. ❤️ Providence.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I am so glad you are doing it again in 2021!! Count me in! I have never needed something and enjoyed it so much. This was a very difficult year for me and my family and doing this read through and being in the Word daily is a huge part of what got me through. Another thing that got me through this year was a dear friend that actually told me about this read through. I think God knew I was going to need you, my friend and mostly Him and time in the Word this year. Thank you so much for doing this! ❤️
LikeLiked by 1 person
Becky, I have never done a back to back read (I usually take a few years off). I think this is going to be amazing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I am SO glad you decided to do this again❤️I need this very much & LOVE this blog! It’s so insightful and helpful
Patricia! Do you plan on doing a read through in 2023? I’ve certainly missed our time together. ❤️